Guide Dogs NSW/ACT is a well-established Charity and the largest provider in Australia of guide dogs and orientation and mobility services for people with impaired vision, winning the Reader’s Digest “Most Trusted Charity Brand” award from 2013 to 2017.
Guide Dogs are currently seeking a Community Orthoptist to join their Client Services team in Canberra, ACT on a permanent full time basis with flexibility to be part time (min. 4 days per week or the equivalent)
As a Community Orthoptist you will provide specialist low vision assessments, training and other interventions to enable clients with vision impairments to maximise the use of their residual vision. Services are delivered to clients of all ages, mainly in community locations and client homes.
The core responsibilities will include;
- Conducting functional low vision assessments and developing appropriate interventions based on client and family goals.
- Using a person-centred, strengths-based approach to deliver interventions to enable clients to use their residual vision more effectively and efficiently. Interventions may include advice, education, optical and electronic low vision aids, lighting and other equipment.
- Conducting training in the use of low vision aids and equipment, and supporting clients to purchase aids.
- Providing education to clients and their families on the meaning and implications of their diagnosis.
- Delivering services in clinic and community locations, and at client homes.
- Completion of a Bachelor degree in Orthoptics or equivalent with eligibility for registration with the Australian Orthoptic Board.
- Prior experience conducting low vision Orthoptic assessments, ideally within the community.
- Demonstrated experience supporting clients and families using a person-centred and strengths-based approach.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with others.
- Good skills in utilising Microsoft Office applications and modern technology such as smart phones and their related applications.
- Possession of a NSW Driver Licence with a good driving history
- Satisfactory background checks including National Police Certificate and Working With Children Check (NSW)
Join a friendly and committed team working with an organisation that offer Generous salary packaging benefits and flexible working conditions.
This role is advertised without a closing date, all applications will be reviewed on receipt so please send your application if you are interested in this role.
If this sounds like the role for you please click APPLY to send your resume to Chloe Barton or email your resume to Chloe@beaumontpeople.com.au