- Implement media and communications activities
- 6-month contract – WHV accepted
- CBD location, with great access to transport links
Cancer Council is the only charity in Australia to work across every area of every cancer, from research through to prevention and support. They help people from the point of diagnosis through to treatment and survivorship. Their vision is a cancer free future and they aim to lead a cohesive approach to reduce the impact of cancer.
This position sits within the Media and Communications team at Cancer Council Australia. The team’s role is to promote Cancer Council Australia’s national cancer control messages and protect and enhance the Cancer Council’s reputation as Australia’s leading cancer charity.
The role is responsible for managing reactive media enquiries, proactive media outreach and securing media coverage. The successful applicant will work with the media and communications team to draft and develop communications content.
- Respond to incoming media enquiries, ensuring responses are accurate, based on scientific evidence and dealt with in a timely fashion.
- Be the first port of call for media enquiries, including outside of normal business hours as required on an occasional basis.
- Draft media materials including media releases with minimal supervision, to successfully secure high-profile media coverage across a range of media channels.
- Identify opportunities to enhance Cancer Council’s reputation as Australia’s leading cancer charity
- Assist with communication across the Cancer Council network and coordinate communications activity with key stakeholders, including internal communications.
- Assist with social media moderation, including occasional outside of hours moderation.
- Coordinate the development of communications content, such as print and digital assets, blogs, case study stories and key messages.
Skills & Attributes
- A tertiary qualification in communications, media relations or related field.
- Two-three years’ previous experience in communications or media relations role in either an in-house or agency environment.
- The ability to translate complex health information to lay audiences, previous experience within a health or science organisation would be highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully secure high profile media coverage.
- Excellent attention to detail, organisational skills and the ability to manage your time effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Understanding and passion for the not-for-profit sector, experience in the not-for-profit sector is highly desirable.
Please apply as soon as possible as applications will be reviewed on an immediate basis.
Beaumont People Not for Profit has been contracted to recruit this role. Beaumont People NFP specialise in delivering unparalleled permanent and temporary recruitment solutions to the Not for profit sector.