Médecins Sans Frontières exists to save lives by providing medical humanitarian aid where it is needed most – in armed conflicts, epidemics, famines and natural disasters. All these situations call for a rapid response with specialised medical and logistical help. They also run longer-term projects, tackling health crises and supporting people where the need is greatest.
MSF Australia deploys over 200 field staff per year from Australia and New Zealand. The organization is among the top tier of Not for Profits in the fundraising sector securing an annual revenue of AUD 90 million in untied funds. Uniquely, the Australia section hosts a Medical Unit in Sydney bringing specialized expertise in the field of Women’s health and Paediatrics in support of their operations overseas. MSF Australia has 70 full time staff and an active association of over 250 members.
This is a broad, all-encompassing position with the following key role outcomes:
- Together with the Board, successfully model and encourage a culture of leadership and development across all levels of MSF Australia.
- Represent MSF Australia to Government, Not for Profit, academic and research sectors as appropriate in Australia and New Zealand while maintaining the organisation’s independence.
- Manage media as one of the primary spokespersons in conjunction with the MSF Australia President.
- Represent MSF Australia and New Zealand to the donor community, and specifically foster one on one high level donor relationships.
- Represent MSF Australia’s interests and shared responsibilities with its partnerships within the MSF movement, namely the Operational Centre Paris (OCP) and Operational Centre Geneva (OCG) groups, and the South East and East Asia Pacific (SEEAP) partnership of Hong Kong, Japan and Australia.
- Set International Policy and Practice, and the allocation of resources as a voting member of the MSF International Executive Committee.
- Stewardship of finance, HR, IT, risk management fundraising.
- Academic degree in international relations, humanitarian/development practices, political science, medicine, business administration or relevant experience.
- Extensive (minimum 5 years) experience in the international humanitarian sector in senior management positions managing medium to large size teams (+40 persons).
- Broad knowledge of international affairs, humanitarian aid and political issues, and the ability to represent MSF Australia in the humanitarian arena in Australia and New Zealand and within the international MSF structures.
- Demonstrated ability in organisational strategic planning and a commitment to best practice governance.
- Ability to model and encourage a culture of leadership and development, which values high levels of constructive feedback and celebrates organisational success and high performance.
- Proven track record in the management of local and international media.
- Proven experience in medium to large organisation risk management, financial planning and budgetary control.
- A persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project management skills.
- Comprehensive understanding and demonstrated application of cultural awareness.
- Ability to travel regularly (anticipated at least eight international trips per year).
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of French and other languages
- Prior experience within the MSF movement (at field and headquarters level)
The details of this opportunity:
- $190,000 plus 9.5% superannuation
- Initial Fixed Term 3-year contract with the possibility of renewal
- Head Office located in Glebe NSW
- Qualified overseas applicants will be provided with visa support
- Variable relocation package on offer
- Medical, disability and life insurance coverage
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
- The role will commence in November 2019
Beaumont Not-for-Profit has been retained to recruit this position so please direct all enquiries to Beaumont People.
To request a full position description please email Liska Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should address the requirements of the role and how your experience is relevant together with a copy of your CV.
Applications close 21 July 2019.
To submit an application please click APPLY. Applications will be assessed on receipt and shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.