- Provide dementia specific counselling for people living with dementia, their families and carers through individual, group or family counselling in accordance with specified protocols
- Provide information about dementia, available services, community and family education and resources to people living with dementia, their families and carers.
- Identify alternative services and supports needed by people living with dementia and their families and carers and make appropriate internal and external referrals as required
- Ensure consumer directed services are delivered from an enablement perspective, empowering clients and focusing on the needs and rights of the person living with dementia and their carers.
To be successful in this role:-
- Registration with, or eligibility for membership of, a relevant professional body or association (e.g. Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, Australian Counselling Association, Australian Association of Social Workers or Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia)
- Extensive counselling experience.*Knowledge and understanding of the impact of the diagnosis and progression of dementia on the person and their family.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Aged Care and Disability Sectors.